Thursday, October 9, 2008

Recent News From Africa

MY DEAR FRIENDS,

There has been a change of plans and I am back in Nairobi with Pastor Josphat Kamau and Bishop Mugo is here. Mugo's son Joshua is in Nairobi National Hospital (where I was last week) and he has a tumour in his groin. Mugo is now here with us and this matter is more important that me going to Meru. I am trying to listen carefully to God's will in this situation .

It was sooo good to go back to Matumaini to see all the children and the staff. They are extremely grateful for the medical supplies that I brought and for the financial help that was sent with me which totalled over $800. Many of the staff have 4-8 kids of their own to feed and they sometimes go months without pay so please know that these funds came at the right time. Many of the staff have also had relatives killed in the clashes or they died of HIV and left THOSE kids orphaned and homeless so these parents have no choice but to add kids to their own families.
Ruth and I were like 2 kids at Summer Camp for several days in a row without hydro, eating by candlelight and listening to the rain pounding down off and on for 4 days. She is such a delightful woman of God and she has sacrificed her needs for years so a little thing like eating 3 or 4 different kinds of cookies that I bought was a delightful treat for her. She says she is ' allergic to the camera' so she shies away from having her picture taken. I hope that I can have as much Godly stamina as she has when I reach 71.

I was fortunate enough, with some camera wrangling to take some videos of Liz Hodgins, a missionary who is manager of the hostel and Pastor David Sagwa, who is the Director and one of the children at the hostel singing songs so I plan to put something together once I return back to Canada.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the need here is so great and the Lord is working miracles ever day to make funds go so very far. The present vehicle used at the Center is a 92 Toyota truck with a large cap on the back which is starting to rust on the seams. It has lots of mileage and while it is a diesel it is in dire need of replacement I am going to talk to some dealers back home using my vast people skills and dazzling personality( SMILE )and try to secure a new or newer truck for them here. It will be tempting for dealers to know that I can probably get them an income tax receipt through I-Teams Canada. I am fully confident that the Lord will provide for these great kids and dedicated staff here.

The taxi ride on the highway to and from Nakuru is a far different experience than it was 2 yrs ago. It is a brand NEW road and the trip only takes around 2 and a quarter hours. Smooth road is very different than hard clay with huge potholes SMILE.

More news to follow soon. Please continue to pray for all of My overseers and our safe travel and favour. The traffic in downtown Nairobi is absolutely beyond belief until you have actually expereinced it.

LOVE to all ---- In HIS Service,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment